I guess I’ve put this blog post off long enough. I keep wondering if I actually have 13 things in my world that begin with the letter “U”, but finding 13 U items is more likely than finding 13 X or Z items…so here we go. I’m game if you are.
In no particular order, 13 things from my world that begin with “U”:
1) Utah: I was born there but moved to Montana when I was three weeks old, so technically Montana feels like my home state. My parents moved us back to Utah when I was just 11, however, and I lived there for the next 40 years or so, which made it feel like my second home. Actually, since leaving Utah for Florida, I find myself missing things I took for granted when I lived there, like the mountains. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I miss them.
2) United States of America: Obviously, if I was born in Utah, I am a native of the US, where I currently reside.
3) Uncles: I have been lucky enough to have some really great uncles in my life. Many of them are gone now, but a few are still with us. Again, in no particular order, here’s a shout-out to Russell, Marvin, Darrell, Paul, Ivan, Harry (Art) and Ralph.
4) Umbrellas: When I lived in Utah and Montana, owning an umbrella was no big deal. Rain just isn’t a big factor in the west. I mean, sure, it rains, but not like it does in Florida. Last time I was in Utah for a visit, they received 2″ of rain in a 24-hour period and it was the major news story on every local news channel. A couple of years ago in Florida, we got almost 6″ of rain in the space of 1 hour–which was unusual and problematic since the rain didn’t stop after just 1 hour. That was just the heaviest hour of a roughly 36-hour rainstorm. I’d never seen rain until I moved here. So umbrellas are much more than a fashion statement. The smart person will have several in the house and several more in the car, so as to be ready for anything.
5) Ulcers: I was told several years ago by a doctor that I had the beginnings of several ulcers. Sometimes I’m aware of them and sometimes I’m not, which makes me lucky, I think.
6) UTA: Yeah, I’m beginning to stretch now. For many years I took the bus to work when I lived in Utah. The bus system is run by the Utah Transit Authority, so … there you go.
7) Utah Jazz: I’m not one for sports, really. I don’t have a favorite football team. Don’t even like watching football, to be honest. Don’t really like watching baseball, either. But for several years, back in the glory days of Karl Malone and John Stockton, I was a huge fan of the Utah Jazz. I’d probably still watch Jazz games if they were broadcast here, but they’re not, so I don’t.
8) URWA: I’m a member of the Utah Chapter of Romance Writers of America, and have been off-and-on (mostly on) since 1992 or 93. I’ve met many good, long-time friends through the chapter.
9) US Bankruptcy Court: Listen, I know it’s cheating to pick so many things that begin with Utah and United, but we’re just going to have to deal with it. I worked for 15 years in the legal world, first as a secretary/office manager-type for the Chapter 13 Trustee and then as a judicial assistant for a federal bankruptcy judge.
10) Under the Desk: I’m old enough to have taken part in those duck-and-cover drills that were supposed to save us from radiation poisoning if somebody attacked us with a nuclear bomb. I guess the prevailing wisdom was that radiation didn’t know to look under the desks for us. I’m not sure. But I think this is proof positive that you can’t count on current scientific wisdom to always be right.
11) Utensils: I’m a fairly modern, somewhat educated woman, so I do try to use utensils with most meals.
13) Us: My favorite word when I’m talking about family and friends.
Hey! I did it! I say that’s cause for celebration!