Thirteen Things From My Life that Start with “A”…in no particular order.
2. Afghans I’ve crocheted. I don’t even know how many there are, but it truly is something I love doing. I make them and keep them, make them and give them away. It’s soothing to work on them, I guess.
3. Apples — but not all apples. Only crisp, sour apples. Granny Smith are good. Red Delicious are usually too mealy. Braeburn can be good, and Fuji, and Gala . . .
4. Angel. I got this dog for my daughter during her battle with depression. The dog was supposed to help her heal. Well, she did her job, and then my daughter got married and moved out, and Angel stayed with me. And now, even though she drives me crazy and still goes bonkers and leaps around the house, and jumps down 5 stairs at a time and sails over an 8 foot fence without even breathing hard, she’s still one of my favorite things. Here she is snuggling up in one of the afghans I crocheted.
5. Autumn. It’s the time of year when I was born, and I think it’s my favorite time of year. I love the cool nights, the moderating temperatures in the day, the leaves as they change colors, the smell of the soil, the sound of leaves underfoot as I walk. I love Halloween decorations and school bulletin boards, and gourds and squash. I just love it all.
6. Answering Machine. It’s a lifesaver when I’m working.
7. Anne Tyler. I love her books.
8. Alaska. I went several years ago and had a wonderful time. The scenery is amazing and the people fascinating. I hate the signs documenting how many moose have been killed along the highways. It’s sad. Beautiful land. Everyone ought to go once.
9. Arkansas. It’s where my dad was born. I’ve been there to visit a couple of times, and it’s much more beautiful than I think most of us give it credit for.
10. Austria. It’s on my list of places I want to go. I’ve been fascinated by it since 6th grade, when I was assigned to write a report on a country. I chose Switzerland, which is also on my list, but Austria is the land of Mozart, among other things, so one of these days, I hope to go there.
11. Acadia National Park. I’m a national park junkie. I freely admit it. When I was a kid, my parents took us to Yellowstone National Park every year, and my love for national parks was born. As an adult, it’s one of my fondest dreams to visit every national park in the country. I’ve ben to several, but still have several to go. Acadia is one of my favorite places on earth.
12. Air Force. It’s not exactly one of my favorite things at the moment, but it’s a large part of my life, and I’m SO proud of my Senior Airman son-in-law. He’s being deployed in just 4 days, so if you can spare prayers for one more soldier, please add Ian to your list.
13. Accordion. Okay, not really. I’ve never played one in my life. So let’s go with Adventures, which are random things I’ve done with my kids over the years. When they were younger, they said they were going to write a book called “Adventures with Mummie,” about all the misadventures we’ve had over the years.