It’s summertime and the thermometer is inching up toward 100 here at my house. I have way too much work to do to shut down and read something wonderful while sipping a cool drink, but that’s exactly what I want to do. For me, the heat of summer is as conducive to a reading jag as the cold of winter.
Ah…..who am I kidding? I’ll use any excuse to read, just give me one.
- It’s too early to think. I should read instead.
- Ditto for too late.
- It’s raining
- Spring, summer, winter or fall
- Just got an advance check, need to hit the bookstores
- Royalty check arrived — ditto.
- It’s gonna be a while before I get another check; I need something good to read to tide me over.
- I need to stimulate my mind.
- I need to relax my mind.
- I’m alone; I’d better take advantage of it.
- Too many people around, better slip away somewhere quiet.
But with a deadline less than two weeks away and art fact sheets due to my publisher in a week, an agenda winging its way to me for the next board meeting and a workshop to prepare for RWA’s national conference in three weeks, I think I’d better tuck the excuses away and keep my nose to the grindstone.
I’d sure love to know what the rest of you are reading, though! Post a comment and let me know. Maybe I’ll pick up some suggestions for the next time I talk myself into a bookstore run to relieve the stress